How To Get An Emergency Transaction (ET) Processed
An Emergency Transaction (ET) is a request for payment for goods or services or the creation of a purchase order where the initiator of the request cannot wait the time required for the normal payment or procurement process. The initiator must justify the need for a payment or purchase order on the same day.
The ET request is subject to the same accounting, purchasing and approval policies as a normal transaction, but is done so in an expedited fashion.
To Request ET treatment of a transaction:
- Prepare an ET request form and attach all necessary documentation for the transaction. Indicate on the ET request form whether the purchase order or check should be mailed or held for pick-up. An ET request form is required with each emergency transaction.
- Route the ET request form and related document through the appropriate department and dean’s offices for approval.
- Hand deliver the ET request form and documents to 21 N Park St, Ste 5301. If the request is received by 9:00 a.m., it will be processed for check pick up by the next business day. The ET must be presented to personnel to have your ET time and date stamped prior to putting the ET in the ET Basket. Requests received after 9:00 a.m. will be processed in two work days.
- Purchase orders and checks can be picked up between 9:00-11:45 p.m. and 12:30-4:00 p.m. (no one is at the front desk 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.) at 21 N Park St, Ste 5301. A copy of the ET request must be presented to the receptionist to ensure the appropriate documents are released. If documents resulting from ET’s are not picked up within this time frame, the documents will be mailed (campus mail) to the respective Dean's/Director's Office, who will distribute them to the initiator of the ET.
Ways to avoid the need for an ET:
- Where allowable and possible use procurement cards to make payments.
- Plan ahead. PIR's normally take 7-10 business days, and requisitions for purchase orders may take a minimum of 2 weeks to process. If you are able to accept this processing time, please do not use an ET request.
ET processing is possible under emergency circumstances such as:
- An unexpected repair of a machine is necessary
- A significant dollar savings will be realized if purchased today
- Damage caused by weather
- A threat to health, safety or welfare
Where bidding or special approvals are required to process a purchase order, the ET process may not be available due to timeframes imposed by the bidding process or the special approval.