Special Events Insurance

Designed for Student Organizations or Other Groups Using University Facilities

What is it?

Special Events insurance is liability protection for organizations that host activities that are not included in the University's insurance program. University departments are covered by the UW's statutory liability coverage for events that are within the scope of their mission. University departments may also sponsor events held on campus, but unless there is significant oversight of the event by faculty/staff in the department, the statutory liability coverage MAY not extend to the specific activity being sponsored. In that case, the organization that is hosting the event, may need to purchase Special Events coverage, if they do not already have a liability policy. Because the University's coverage is by statute, rather than a specific commercial liability policy, it is always best to discuss situations with the staff at Risk Management, since our coverage is not easiliy definable. (See contact information below).This program provides liability coverage and legal defense for claims of negligence brought on the basis of mismanagement, improper security, misleading representations, or failure to maintain equipment/fixtures (to name but a few.)

If you are planning an event at Recreational Sports, please visit their website to determine if you need Special Event Insurance for your athletic event.

Why do we need this?

In today's litigious society, event organizers face potential liability suits from spectators, contractors, and customers. Even if a suit is unjustified, the cost of defense can be significant.

Who needs it?

Any group or individual organizing an event on campus which may pose a liability risk should consider this program.

What will it cost?

Premium costs are determined based on the nature of the event, the anticipated number of participants, and the number of days. While it is impossible to quote rates without detailed information about the event, we can say that premiums for this program are almost always considerably lower than any similar policy you could buy as an individual on the open market.

What kind of events may need this coverage?

  • concerts
  • exhibitions
  • dances
  • festivals
  • political rallies
  • cattle shows
  • recreational events
  • sporting events
  • parades
  • conventions
  • any other event that may pose a liability threat (our office can advise you on this)

How can I get more information?

If you wish to enroll, or have specific questions, please contact:
Debbie Beich

Information you will need to furnish includes the following:

  • Sponsoring Organization
  • Contact Person's Name
  • Address
  • Phone Number
  • Email address
  • Date(s) of event
  • Description of Event
  • Projected Attendance
  • Security Provided
  • Other entities who will need to be listed as "additional insured"

After contacting Risk Management, you will be quoted a premium. Payments should be made payable to the University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents and forwarded to Risk Management. Information and payments must be received 10 days prior to the event. Upon receipt, you will be issued a Certificate of Insurance.

Coverage underwritten by:
Gales Creek Insurance Services
Union Station
800 N.W.6th, Suite 335
Portland, OR 97209