Risk Management Information For Students

The following risk management information is specifically targeted at students and should answer questions relating to health insurance, accidents on campus, liability and automobiles. Questions may be directed to any of the staff in our office.

Student Health
The University Health Services (UHS) focuses on providing primary medical and nursing care, mental health services and preventive care for students at UW-Madison. Clinical and preventive services are provided at 333 East Campus Mall. Counseling and Consultation Services are provided at the same location, 333 East Campus Mall.

Unfortunately, illness, injuries or other problems may not always occur when UHS is open. UHS does not cover the cost of services provided outside their facilities. It is strongly recommended that all students have health insurance that includes emergency room and hospitalization coverage. University Health Services offers a Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Please consult the UHS and SHIP websites for further information.

Policy on Use of State Owned Vehicles by Student Organizations
One of the most important criteria for the use of University and/or State owned vehicles, is that the use of the vehicle must qualify as University business, that is, the use must further the mission of the University in promoting educational activities of all kinds.  However, having said this, and in keeping with the requirement that student organizations cannot rent state owned vehicles on their own, there must be active departmental involvement in the purpose and execution of the use of state vehicles.

To that end, and because of several recent incidents in the past year, documenting the mission and approving the use must now fall in greater degree to the department.  In order to do so, it will be very important for student organizations to maintain a close tie to their department sponsor and/or advisor.

In order to reserve a vehicle, departments are required to review the purpose for the vehicle request, making sure that such usage falls within University and/or department business.  And for trips that are more than 4 hours from Madison, we are now asking that departments review the travel itinerary for all student trips of this length or more.  The itinerary must be maintained to the extent possible, but we do acknowledge that weather-related decisions may allow for some discretion in the itinerary, but must be reported to the department upon return. (I.E. if a modest delay in your return could mean getting stuck in a blizzard, discretion may be appropriate.)

Student Trip Itinerary Form

Trips that are more than 4 hours from Madison should require a minimum of one authorized driver for every 4 hours of travel, i.e. a trip OVER 8 hours would require 3 drivers. 

Trips of more than 12 hours distance must require a stop of at least 6 hours, preferably at a location where drivers can sleep (i.e. motel, personal home). 

Trips of more than 16 hours will be reviewed by Risk Management, with the department, to make sure students are using the most appropriate method of transportation.  Risk Management has final approval.  Trips to the West Coast, southern Florida and southern Texas may be inappropriate for vehicles, and may need bus/air transportation.

All students should watch the 4 You Tube Videos, which applies specifically to UW-Madison. There is also a two-page test of knowledge that departments should consider requiring before signing the authorization request. You are expected to obtain 100%; anything less is not acceptable for authorization. The test does not need to be returned to Risk Management.

As an authorized student driver for the University, you are covered by the University’s auto liability protection; this extends to drivers when they are in the course and scope of their approved vehicle use. What this means is that, once your itinerary is set, it is critical that you adhere to that itinerary, as that is what the University approved prior to departure.  Should you need to deviate from that, it is important to secure the advisor’s approval.

Driving for the University
At some point in time, you may be asked to drive a University vehicle for your department or because of employment on campus. Students who need to drive for the University need to complete an e-VUA at Enterprise Fleet Management System (EFMS). You will receive email notification when you have been processed.

What to do in case of an accident!
If you or a friend are hurt on campus (while getting to and from classes, in a classroom or lab, or off campus, i.e. fieldtrip, research site, etc.), you may seek help in a variety of ways:

  • If you are mobile and can get yourself to the University Health Service during their hours, you may seek help from them.
  • In the campus area, if you are unable to travel without assistance, and the situation doesn't warrant an ambulance, you may call the University Police and they will get you to the Health Service or another campus medical facility.
  • In the case of serious and/or life threatening injury, a call should be placed to the local police or fire department (911 if available) which will immediately dispatch emergency personnel.

The University does not provide blanket medical coverage to students. Students are strongly encouraged to secure their own health insurance, either through their parents, the Student Health Insurance Plan or some other program.

As indicated, the University does not provide blanket medical coverage to students or other visitors to the campus. However, should an injury or property damage occur which is the result of the negligence of a University employee, a claim can be filed against the University. If you have suffered financial loss because of such an incident, contact Risk Management at 21 N. Park Street, Suite 6101 or phone 262-0379.

Additionally, if you become a University student employee, the State's coverage will extend liability protection to you for your work-related negligent acts which may cause injury or property damage to others.

Special Events Liability Insurance
If you're planning an event and your group needs or desires liability protection to protect your members from the financial risk of claims being made against them, the University has a special events liability program available. For example, your group wants to sponsor an event such as an animal show, a dance, or a concert - now you can protect your organization against claims which could results if an incident at your event resulted in injury or property damage for one of the attendees. There is a charge based on the type of event, the number of days and the anticipated attendance. For more information, check that web page.

If you are planning an event at Recreational Sports, please visit their website to determine if you need Special Event Insurance for your athletic event.