(April 10, 2017)
Dell has announced one significant change to UW-Madison Preferred systems, aka standard configuration bundles, available from Dell through Shop@UW. Intel’s new Kaby Lake chipsets, which the new bundles are based on, only support Windows 10+. Prior generation bundles will continue to be available for the time being for those departments that require Windows 7 and 8, but it is unknown how much longer those systems will be in production and available. Please review the linked KB article for more information on the new chipsets and bundles.
Latitude Exx80 series Laptop Bundles
The new Latitude Exx80 series Laptop Bundles with the new Kaby Lake (7th generation) chipset requires Windows 10+ and will not support Windows 7 and 8.
- Latitude E5480 14-inch and E5580 15.6-inch 5000-series mainstream laptops start at $779 with 8GB RAM and 500GB HDD
- Latitude E7280 12.5-inch and E7480 14-inch 7000-series Ultrabook laptops start at $949 with 8GB RAM and 128GB M.2 drive
- Configurable options are available on all systems including additional RAM, solid-state drives up to 512GB, and higher resolution display upgrades
New docking solutions for the new, thinner and lighter Exx80 series Latitude laptops are available. The new laptops eliminated the E-port docking slots and no longer support the E-port docks and port replicators. Details for the following three new Dell docks are available on the Shop@UW Dell Premier site:
- WD15 dock
- DS1000 dock with monitor stand
- TB16 Thunderbolt dock
The prior generation Latitude Exx70 series, which support Windows 7 and 8, are expected to continue to be available via Shop@UW until supplies run out which could be as soon as late summer.
Optiplex 7050 Desktop Bundles
The new Optiplex 7050 series will initially be available with only the Kaby Lake (7th generation) processors and only supporting Windows 10+.
- Optiplex 7050s start at $579 with 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD standard, and in three form factors: micro, small form factor, and minitower
- Configurable options are available on all systems including additional RAM and solid-state drives up to 512GB
For those that have not migrated to Windows 10 yet, the Optiplex 7050s will soon be available with the prior 6th generation Skylake processors that do support Windows 7 and 8. The Shop@UW Dell site will clearly label the OS compatibility and separate the systems. The prior generation Windows 7 and 8 compatible Optiplex 7040 systems will continue to be available until supplies run out.
MDS made changes in March 2017 to the MDS portion of the Pre–Allocation Tool (PAT). Users must be authorized before they are given access to use the tool. If you require access please contact Shop@UW Customer service directly at (608) 497-4400 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please be sure to include your name, NetID, and MD# to ensure efficient processing of your request.
- March 29–April 2, 2017 — Shipping freeze for products; orders can still be placed on these dates, but earliest shipment from the warehouses after March 29 will be April 3.
- April 3, 2017 — Shipments resume.
As we approach Fiscal Year End 2017 you will need to be aware of important deadlines for year-end processing.
June 16, 2017
- All purchases made through Shop@UW and the MDS Verona warehouse must be placed by end of business day on June 16, 2017, to ensure that the charges are applies to FY17 funding.
- Please keep in mind that even if orders are placed by June 16, any potential back–orders may be delayed and could be billed in FY18.
- Orders placed after June 16, 2017, may or may not be billed to FY17 depending on product receipt date and potential back–order status.
June 17-June 26, 2017
- The billing period for orders placed between these dates is dependent on when the Shop@UW vendor sends the invoice to MDS. We will do our best to apply them in FY17.
June 26, 2017
- All orders must be physically received by the customer and invoiced by the Shop@UW vendors by the end of the business day on June 26, 2017, in order to be applied to funding in FY17.
June 27-30, 2017
- Orders invoiced between these dates will be applied to FY18.
June 29, 2017
- Cut-off for Pre-Posting Allocation Tool (PAT) will be at 10:00 AM — please note this is different from the standard NOON deadline.
- Shop@UW accounting will transmit all the campus billing files to SFS after 10:00 AM on June 29, 2017, and they will be applied to FY17. You will be able to view these transactions in WISDM after July 1.
Any questions related to these dates please contact Shop@UW accounting at email@example.com or (608) 497-4400.